gfxgfx

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

Make-Up FX Forum is a free online resource for make up professionals, students and companies to share information, discover and benefit from.  If you have an interest in special makeup fx, prosthetic make up, creature effects, FX lab work and everything else in-between you're in the right place.  To join our community and to access all the forum features, including the chatrooms and our member's media gallery, please login or register.

gfx gfx
gfx
7265 Posts in 1319 Topics by 1188 Members - Latest Member: slasher1981 September 20, 2014, 04:54:24 AM
gfx* Home Forum Help Search Calendar Chat Login Register gfx
gfx
Make-Up FX Forum  |  Forum  |  Special Make-Up FX Boards  |  The Make-Up FX Hub  |  I need to make a severed head
gfx
gfxgfx

Google Translate

* Forum Stats

• *Total Posts: 7265
  • *Total Topics: 1319
  • *Online Today: 15
  • *Most Online: 222
(October 14, 2013, 02:46:28 PM)
  • *Users: 0
  • *Guests: 10
  • *Spiders: 0
  • *Total: 10

Share This Page

Email this page to a friend

Sculpt Gel DVD

FX e-course

Mouldlife Shop UK

Monster Club USA

Events USA

Make Up Shop UK

FX Forum Support

Author Topic: I need to make a severed head  (Read 1578 times)

splatterman

• FX Forum Sr. Member
  • Popularity 19
I need to make a severed head
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:46:03 PM »
So I got a job on a low budget slasher film.  This is actually a big deal for me because I'm in charge of the fx dept and I'm getting paid.  It's not a whole lot, but it will pay my rent.  Anyway, I have to make a severed head.  I've never done this before, so I'm looking for some help.  I'm really not sure where to start other than making a full head mold of the actor, but I've only molded faces before.  I need to do this relatively cheap, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Also, I need to make a bleeding neck wound.  A character gets their throat bitten out by a dog and the director wants blood flowing out of the wound.  I'd like to give it an arterial spray too.  So suggestions on this are appreciated also.

So hit me with your ideas!
Jason

Lost in the Orient

• Global Moderator
  • FX Forum Legend
  • Popularity 28
  • Which is more important, the bowl, or the spoon?
    • mikedinetz
Re: I need to make a severed head
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 08:13:30 AM »
Head:

1. lifecast the actor, with a bald cap on, ears exposed, down to the neck
2. remove, and reassemble well, glue the seamline back together with superglue, and cover nostril holes with more bandage
3. fill with a mix of melted Chavant NSP Medium, and NSP Hard, and quickly slush around, building up layer, and then insert a an 18 inch length of threaded galvanized pipe (1 inch wide) and fill the head with A/B polyfoam.  Because the exposed end of the pipe is threaded you can attach a pipe flange to a large plywood board and screw the pipe into it, so the head can stand upright as you correcting the flaws in the clay casting
4. correct the texture flaws in the clay casting (here you could insert eyeballs and sculpt the head open, but if you want to save money, have the eyes closed, saves money on eyeballs
5. make a 2 piece mold (I like fiberglass, but you could use ultracal and burlap)
6. warm mold in oven to soften clay and then open and clean the mold
7. I assume you want to make the head out of silicone, so when the mold is clean, pigment your silicone brush in a layer, and close the mold, then slush in several more layers, and fill with 8lb flexible foam
8.  remove, seam carefully, and paint (you can make your own paints, or use a purchasable system
9. punch in the hair

bleeding neck

you need to make a prosthetic with holes in it, and a bladder to match.  Then place the bladder on the actor and glue the prosthetic over it.  Then connect the bladder to a tube, the tube to a high power blood pump, pressurize and let er rip
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

splatterman

• FX Forum Sr. Member
  • Popularity 19
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:00:58 PM »
Okay, thanks, I wasn't sure what to glue the seamline together with.  I'm going to have to use ultracal and burlap because it's cheaper and I've never used fiberglass before.  Have any suggestions for online stores to order hair and a punching kit?  I might get lucky and the actor could be bald.  ;)

For the throat wound, what do you suggest for a bladder?

Thanks!
Jason

Steve-O

• Administrator
  • FX Forum Legend
  • Popularity 27
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:10:54 PM »
hair punching needle -

How to make a punching needle for hair.

if you haven't got a scapal handle you can use half a hot melt glue stick. heat the sharpe end of the needle and push it in about half an inch.

If I was making a one-off head on a budget, I'd probably grab the actor and do a really good bald cap application then life cast the actor in silicon.  Realease the lifecast mold and swill with a flesh coloured tingel 10 a few times then back with foam.

Check this out:

Mold Making: Platsil Gel-10 Lifecast Small | Large
"I ain't got no beef with east coast, I think it's just being hyped up." Ice T (musician)

Lost in the Orient

• Global Moderator
  • FX Forum Legend
  • Popularity 28
    • mikedinetz
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 12:05:57 AM »
No sure which seamline you are wanting to glue, we never glue seam lines.  If you are mosre specific, a recommendation can be provided.

Bladders are easy,

stipple 3-4 layers of balloon latex onto a board in a long strip, about 1.25 inches wide and maybe 10 inches long, and then lay a single layer strip of black garbage bag plastic into it when dry, leaving a border of 0.25 inches on three sides and running the strip of plastic out the 4th side, then stipple 3-4 more layers of latex over that.  Insert a tube into the end and gently inflate to separate the plastic from the layer and create a passage for the blood to flow through.  Then carefully cut a few holes in the latex side not attached to the plastic strip, and then glue the bladder down with the holes facing outward and glue the prosthetic over that.  Attach a tube to the bladder and flow your blood through it at high pressure and it will shoot out the holes.  Be sure to shoot the action at a 3/4 view to hide the bladder coming out one side of the prosthetic and the tubing down the back of the wardrobe

splatterman

• FX Forum Sr. Member
  • Popularity 19
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 05:23:31 AM »
2. remove, and reassemble well, glue the seamline back together with superglue, and cover nostril holes with more bandage

This is what you said
I assume you mean the seam line of the 2 halves of the mold. 

The video helps a lot.  I think I can do this with all the info you guys gave me.  Thanks a lot.  I'll be sure to show you the results.
Jason

Lost in the Orient

• Global Moderator
  • FX Forum Legend
  • Popularity 28
    • mikedinetz
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:24:16 PM »
The seamline is usually in the back, not on the sides.  Here, look this over: http://www.make-up-fx-forum.com/index.php/topic,199.0.html, it might help.  You will have a lot of repair because you need to also carve down the back and sides of the head to compensate for the extra mass of the actor's hair and bald cap, so the head is the correct shape.

splatterman

• FX Forum Sr. Member
  • Popularity 19
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »
Ah, ok, I get what you're talking about.  Thanks.
Jason

Make-Up FX Forum  |  Forum  |  Special Make-Up FX Boards  |  The Make-Up FX Hub  |  I need to make a severed head

FX Training UK

FX Training Spain

Member Links

gfxgfx
gfx gfx