Hey everyone. I've got more up-to-date photos on the Total Recall costume project and I'd like to show you guys what I've got so far.
After the bust was more or less complete, I made the mold out of 100% silicone caulk, which I've found is a great alternative to actual molding silicones if you are working on a tight budget and are only pulling a few casts. After your beauty coat is down, you can layer in cheesecloth to thicken the caulk and make the mold more durable. In my case, I was only thinking of pulling one, but as it turns out I ended up having to use it more than once. There were only a few air bubbles on the positive cast, but besides that the pulls looked really nice considering the material used.
I placed the mold lines right through the middle of her face because that's where the seam would eventually split.
A friend of mine told me he had some Smooth-Cast 300 that was several years old and I could possibly use it to cast my new mold. One of the parts was so old that the top layer of the resin had hardened over time. We used it anyway and surprisingly the resin set up and we were able to get a good positive cast.
After this the problems began. I couldn't get anything to stick on this cast. I literaly tried everything. I sanded the piece, soaked it in Simple Green, cleaned it with alcohol, acetone and dish soap, tried to prime it with Plastikote and polycrylic. NOTHING worked. In a desperate attempt, I put some 2 part epoxy on a small part of the surface and the epoxy never kicked over. In fact, anything that I applied to the mask would react to the piece and either delam, never dry, slide off or just sit on the surface. So I came to the conclusion that the resin was too old and that's why it was utterly unpaintable.
So I had no choice but to cast the mold in something else that would be lightweight enough to sit on my shoulders and hard enough to hold its shape on its own. It should have been clear from the beginning that the mask needed to be cast out of fiberglass. So that's what I did, and it worked like a charm.
I primed and cut the piece and attached some small magnets on the ends of the seams so when the mask closes, each strip lines up more or less with it's respective pair.
I still have to paint it and there are some things I need to iron out before I can say that its' finished. MORE PICTURES TO COME.